November 26, 2008

Hanging out with HARRIS


I celebrate every young person demanding more of themselves than just what is required.Greatness really isn’t far from that! I read the story of an amazing 24 year old, young woman today. Uche Eze is the cyber celebrity behind the fashion and entertainment blog called bella naija. Her blog provides information on events and happenings in Nigeria for Nigerians, home and abroad. I admire the way she has created a very strong brand presence within the Nigerian internet community simply by chronicling about her interests. She is the undisputable queen of blogsville! Everyone can put pen to paper or give an opinion about anything but for Uche, passion brings it together and makes it more than just that. For this young and beautiful, fashion is more than something to see or have, it’s something to be part of! Literarily, something to write home about! That’s what Co-author Steve Harris talks about today in a very easy-to-read piece (bless his generous heart!). It's about finding your natural habitat. I totally loved it. Enjoy!


FINDING your Natural Habitat

It’s a great day!

Today, I’d like to share secrets to what I call “Finding Your Natural Habitat”.
Every creature created by God has a natural habitat where it functions to the best of its ability. Let me explain. Where’s a bird’s natural habitat? Of course, in the air! What about a fish’s natural habitat? In water, isn’t it?

Birds exhibit amazing abilities when they are in their element; air. Fish swim so gracefully when immersed in water. Have you ever seen a bird that died from too much flying? Or a fish that died from drowning because it swam too much? Of course not! So, the question is, “Where’s my natural habitat”?

I’m glad you asked.

You were designed to fulfil purpose. God sent you to earth to discover it and die fulfilling it! Anything outside that purpose becomes an abuse of purpose. You’ve heard it said that “when the purpose of a thing is unknown, abuse is inevitable”. Look at the word abuse; what does it mean?Abuse is the compendium of two words. “ab” and “use”. “Ab” means abnormal and “use” of course, means to use. Therefore, to abuse means an “abnormal use”.

Are you using your gift abnormally?

I always say, “God’s greatest desire is for you to do for a FEE, what He created you to do for FREE”!Think about it. When we mention golf, what name comes to mind? Tiger Woods! Okay, what about free kicks? Beckham! Womens’ Tennis? Did I hear u say Venus or Serena Williams? Information Technology? Bill Gates! Inspirational/Motivational Speaking? Fela Durotoye, Steve Harris! Okay, so when I mention your name, what comes to mind?

I don’t mean to be rude, but if your name’s mentioned and nothing comes to mind, could it infer that your name is a code? A code is a group of undecipherable alphabets, symbols or numbers that you key into a system that sends you an error in return. Type this into your cellphone. #555*1*2*kmji12377839987*SEND. What does it give you? UNKNOWN APPLICATION!!! Therefore, if your name doesn’t come to mind for anything, do forgive me again, it’s an UNKNOWN APPLICATION! Now’s a good time to say God Forbid! Tiger Woods LOVES playing golf, it’s not a job to him, it’s fun! He gets paid to have fun! Jayjay Okocha has fun dribbling people and gets paid for it. You should see Fela and I do what we do, WE HAVE A BLAST speaking, it’s fun for us and we get paid huge sums!

Question is; what can you do for fun and still get paid for it?

Let me assist in curbing your dilemma. Would you r like to discover your natural habitat? Well, here are 22 questions that Fela Durotoye came up with, that I believe will help you. Here we go.

1. Am I happy with my results?
2. Would I like to grow doing what I do today?
3. Is what I am doing today using my natural talents and personality?
4. Would I like to be the best ever at what I am doing today?
5. What one thing do I need to do/ change that would make the greatest positive impact on my life?
6. Who is doing something closest to my dreams?
7. What would I like to be successful doing?
8. What area would I like to make a positive impact?
9. What would I like to be remembered for the most?
10. What mind blowing accomplishment would I like my name stamped on?
11. Michael Jordan - Basket ball, Tiger Woods – Golf, Bill Gates – Computers etc. What field would I like my name to define?
12. What do I do best with least effort?
13. What kind of assistance/ help do people ask me for most frequently?
14. In what area, do people show me the greatest regard/ respect/ accolade??
15. What can I do for fun and still earn money?
16. What frustrates me the most when it’s poorly done?
17. I usually lose track of time when I am…..?
18. I would like to win an award for excellence in….?
19. Which of all human needs touches my heart the most?
20. I am the solution, what is the problem?
21. Who has the problem? Describe as accurately as possible.
22. Which magazines/ discussions interest me the most?

Take some time out to honestly answer these questions and they will point you in the direction of your natural habitat. Let me know how you’re doing.

Till then,
BE GREAT. You can. You must. You will!
SteveHARRIS


SteveHARRIS is the Head, Consulting Group.
Visible Impact Limited
steveharris@visibleimpact.com.ng



2 comments:

  1. The questions : is wat i am doing now using my greatest talents and personality?,who is doing something closest to my dreams? and wat kind of help do people ask me for? were really food for thought.I'm still pondering...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really have to think about this one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...