May 15, 2013

This will help you!



Today a friend of mine made a statement that haunted my thoughts while I was getting myself ready for work and all through my commute.

"Procrastination is the origin of the death of the enthusiasm to do anything"
                                                                           - Jemima Angulu (Krump Studios).

Eventually I took out a note pad and asked myself introspectively what was so pointed about the statement that it held my attention.

I had been procrastinating somethings I needed to do.

Once I got that I started to ask myself how I could apply what she said as opposed to just feeling convicted. I got even more creative and asked myself where I could pick up the slack and get moving again on some of the important things. I took that a step further and thought I should make great content out of it- turn the lime uncomfortable feelings into something good and helpful for people like lemonade.

It was a useful exercise I want you to try, here are the questions:

1. What opportunites have been presented to me in the last few months that I have let slip through the cracks?

I listed eight things and wrote beside them things I needed to do to get back on track.

2. What actions have I intended to take that I have let slip through the cracks?

My answers ranged from updating my blog to writing a professional exam I had decided was great for me to completing my application for my masters programme. No matter how long and unwinding or short and urgent your list is, just being aware of these things means you can reschedule them in the coming days and months.

3. What things are happening in my life right now that I need to do something about?

We tend to be on auto pilot going through the grind and doing what calls for our attention the loudest, and other things as little as they seem tend to be ignored but grow bigger over time and cause big problems. I needed to take control over somethings on my list. e.g I haven't made time to put away a pile of laundry that came in from the washers. They have since been on my couch and if they stay there any longer I just might stop noticing.

4. What small things can I do right now to make a big difference?

They may be as little returning a phone call, following up on a discussion or just changing your approach to things, let me share-

In the past week I made a concious effort not to feel unneccessarily guilty about everything especially if it's not a life and death, heaven or hell issue. This small shift in my thinking meant that if I showed up late for a meeting I would not brow beat myself over it, while I understood the importance of being early, if it happened that I was late I would not let that ruin my enjoyment of the meeting or of the day.

Another small change could be changing how we respond. I read a BB broadcast by Pastor Temi Odejide where he explained a very powerful idea. He described how he learnt the importance of not letting his first answer to a request or idea be "NO" even if he thought it couldn't be done.

He butressed that with the verse Mark 11:23 and what stood out to me there was if you have NO Doubt about what you say, you will have what you say. If you are full of faith that something will not work, you will have that outcome, for instance. His advice? Never let your first answer be no, there is always a way, pause consider and look at it again.

At the end of the day, the best cure to procrastination is to adopt the philosophy of "Do it NOW not later". Just that one idea can change your results today.

Has this been helpful? Let me know how I have helped.

Have a great day!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...