February 16, 2012

Interesting entry: THE MAN IN THE BACK SEAT 2


Hi everyone, today I post another entry for my YOUR TURN challenge, it was sent in by Kate who has a great blog! I am featuring it because she took it to a whole new twist! You’ll see- enjoy her version!


HER STORY

I walked ahead of the man who stood at the bus stop waiting for a taxi so I could stop one first. Bending down to adjust my shoe, I didn’t see a green coloured taxi approach. Before I could, the man stopped it and slid into the backseat. I let out a hiss as I watched them go. Suddenly the car stopped in its tracks and reversed to a stop in front of me.

"I am heading to Zone 6, can I drop you off somewhere?" the man in the backseat asked.

I got in.

"My name is Ikenna, what's yours?

“Susan". I lied.

"Do you live around here" he inquired.

"Why do you ask?" I demanded. 

“Er, I was just asking" he responded and then fell silent.

Fishing for a comb in my bag, I started to brush my hair briskly. I extended my arm too far and my elbow hit his face.

"Aw" he grimaced holding his face.

"Did I hit your eye?" I asked with concern.

He glared at me. I could see his left eye was beginning to water.

"No, you didn't".

I was sorry and I told him. We didn’t say much else till I got off at my stop.

Later I and my team went for a presentation in a company whose account I was vying for. We were ushered into the boardroom and told the key decision maker would join us soon.

Minutes later, the door opened to admit a tall frame. It was the man in the taxi, Ikenna.

I froze.



HIS STORY

I didn’t notice her at first. It wasn’t that she wasn’t the sort of person you would notice, it was simply that I had never been familiar with her back before. When I turned at the small, but angrily emitted hiss that occurred as I got into the taxi I hadn’t been expecting us to come face to face. It’s odd seeing someone you’ve been stalking on the internet an hour previously in the flesh. Her two-inch square photo in her online profile didn’t do her justice.

"I am heading to Zone 6; can I drop you off somewhere?" I asked.

I introduced myself as she climbed in, wondering if she’d recognize my name. She didn’t.

“Susan” she said her name was. I knew it wasn’t. Well, I thought, two can play at that game.

"Do you live around here?"

"Why do you ask?"

We fell into that awkward yet dignified silence that strangers share. That was until her elbow whipped me in the eye, bringing a stream of stinging tears.

"Did I hit your eye?"

I took a sharp breath. "No, you didn't". It wasn’t that I was particularly upset, I was frustrated. This initial meeting had the potential to set up the tone for the meeting ahead. Luckily, she seemed to relax a little as the journey progressed. She began to tell me about work.

“My client has a reputation for being a difficult person, not to mention he’s a womanizer.”

This was perfect. I laughed charmingly. She had smudged a small red blotch on her nose as she was adjusting her makeup and so it only made sense to assist. Physical contact.

Undoubtedly, it wouldn’t be me overly embarrassed by this eventful journey. I had my advantage.
                                                   
                                                                    THE END
Read the winning entry here

3 comments:

  1. ha!.....i love this!!!! hehehehehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun trying to write something which fits in with someone else's ideas. Glad you like it.

      Delete
    2. Glad you enjoyed it. It was fun trying to write it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...